Monday, October 24, 2011

Clean up

This weekend we cleaned up the garden and the backyard in general. I was a little sad that I never got my tree but I'll just have that much more to look forward to next year.

Overall my little garden did okay. My tomatoes didn't get nearly as prolific as I had hoped until of course this last couple of weeks. My peas, which I had thought were pretty much dead still gave me a large handful of peas for snack and my carrots ruled the middle square.

I have gotten so many compliments on the taste of my carrots I'm pretty proud. They were Chatenay Red Core and certainly aren't your grocery store carrots. They are short, fat and sweet. In a word they are amazing. I've shared them with friends and family alike and am bringing in this last little bit to work tomorrow to share. I will be getting those again next year for sure.

This year was a good test of what I have patience for and what is just a waste. It also helped me figure out spaced and location for items which is helpful.

Lesson I am most taking with me? While lettuce is incredibly easy to grow we just don't eat it, no matter how healthy I wish we were. With that in mind I don't think we'll be planting that again.

Spinach on the other hand.....I may give that go.

We are due for snow this week but the weather report says it should melt by the weekend. I'm debating if it's too late for fall garlic. What say you my readers?

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Plant your garlic. They're supposed to have a cold period, right? I think it's called stratification??? I'm in zone 5b and I'll be planting mine next week.

Anonymous said...

I just read a few minutes ago that garlic can be planted so long as the temp stays above 20 degrees.

Also, I've been looking into planting a fruit cocktail tree, and with those, I read that it's best to plant them when they're dormant. In fact, one company doesn't even ship them until January. So, I'm not sure what kind of tree you wanted to plant, but maybe it's not too late.

True Texan said...

okay...I'm curious...what is on a fruit cocktail tree? Will it grow in extremely Southern heat? Sorry to hijack, just sounded too cool!

Post a Comment