Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Future home of our herb garden

This is one of my many monsters around my house, known as Juniper Bushes.

I have never liked them and it has always been on my list of things to do, to rip these out.

This year we decided to get serious and just do it.

We spent about 3 hours on Saturday cutting, trimming and at one point, chainsawing those things trying to get them out but we were experiencing massive FAIL.

We manager to trim down 1 of the bushes (the pile you see to your right) but the root system is immense and deep so I did what any exhausted Suburbanite would do.

I called a landscaper.

I explained my issue and while the first 2 places I called were each booked for 2 straight weeks I was able to get someone to just come and pull those things out next Saturday morning. I am excited.

Our plans post bush removal include turning over the dirt, amending as needed (we have very clay like soil) and planting an herb garden there. I am aiming for both medicinal as well as kitchen herbs.

My list of "would like" includes:
Basil
Calendula,
Chamomile
Echinacea
Rosemary
Thyme
Sage
and
Peppermint

I just need to make sure that these items will grow together well and also make sure they will fit in the space.

I'm also thinking of throwing in some lettuces since that area gets a limited amount of direct sunlight .

I can not wait for Sunday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment